Escabeche Fish Recipe
Escabeche Fish Recipe
Escabeche is a spanish influenced dish consisting of marinated fish, cooked in an acidic sauce and added with spices for color. This delicious dish is very famous and well-enjoyed in the Philippines since the Spanish period. It comes with a wide variety starting with the fish used and the vegetables and spices used in the sauce.
This fish recipe is so easy and simple to make. Just start by seasoning, coating and frying the fish. Cooking the sauce by sautéing spices and vegetables, adding some seasoning and pouring it over the fried fish.
Share this Recipe to your Friends
HOW TO COOK FISH ESCABECHE RECIPE ( Simple And Easy Steps )
Cooking fish escabeche starts with seasoning the fish with salt and pepper and then, coat it with cornstarch. Next, heat pan with cooking oil and fry the fish for 6 minutes each side. Once fish is cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside.
For the escabeche sauce, heat oil on a separate pan. Sauté garlic ginger and onions. Once onions are translucent, add in carrots and stir fry. Add in bell peppers and season with salt and black pepper. Then pour in vinegar, water, sugar and ketchup and stir to mix it well. Mix in oyster sauce.
To thicken the sauce, prepare a cornstarch mixture. In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp water with ½ tbsp cornstarch. Pour in cornstarch mixture and in the sauce mix well. Simmer for a few minutes then remove from heat and pour the cooked sauce over the fried fish. Serve and enjoy.
What other fish can be used for making fish escabeche?
Lapu-lapu (grouper), maya-maya (snapper) and tanigue (chub mackerel) fishes can also work with this recipe.
Tips on Cooking this recipe
- For best results use fresh tilapia.
- If you prefer to use other types of fish, make sure to choose firm-fleshed fish.
- You can add chili powder or chopped peppers if you prefer more kick of spice.
- You can top chopped parsley for garnish and added color.
Yield: 2 serving
Cooking time: 25 minutes
FISH ESCABECHE RECIPE ( Simple And Easy Steps )
- 1 piece Tilapia large size
- 1 piece Carrots (small size) julienned
- 1 piece Green bell pepper julienned
- 1 piece Red bell pepper julienned
- 1 piece White onion sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger julienned
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch for coating
- 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch for sauce
- 3 tbsp Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Water for sauce
- 2 tbsp Water for cornstarch mixture
- 2-3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Cooking oil for frying
- Season fish with salt and pepper.
- Coat fish with cornstarch.
- Heat pan with cooking oil.
- Fry fish for 6 minutes each side.
- Once fish is cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- On a separate pan, heat oil and sauté garlic, ginger and onions.
- Once onions are translucent, add in carrots and stir fry.
- Add in bell peppers.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour in vinegar, water, sugar and ketchup. Mix well.
- Mix in oyster sauce.
- In a small bowl, dissolve ½ tbsp. cornstarch in 2 tbsp. water.
- Pour in cornstarch mixture and mix well.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the cooked sauce over the fried fish.
- Serve and enjoy.